If an unexpected disaster occurs are you prepared? Natural disasters can occur in various forms and at any time. While you cannot predict everything, there are measures that can minimize the damage that incurs. Below Safe Place Mini Storage has five tips to help prepare you and your storage unit in case of disaster in Fredericksburg, VA. Check out these storage tips for Emergencies:
Have a protection plan for your storage unit
- Our facility offers a protection plan that is designed to cover financial losses of items damaged in natural disasters. Plans can be purchased at our office and can be added into your monthly rent. Do not assume the property’s insurance covers your goods, you are responsible for the protection of your stored goods. For information on protection for your stored goods, please see store manager.
Know the warning signs of disaster and begin to prepare at first sign
- For a tornado, change of color in clouds to a dark green and a roaring noise can be a warning sign that one is coming.
- Dropping temperatures can cause a blizzard or ice storm
- High winds and rough choppy seas can be a signal of a hurricane or tropical storm on the way.
Use water-tight bins for your belongings
- Storing your goods in bins that are water/airtight allow them to stay safe in case of a flooding disaster or hurricane.
Remove any snow removal equipment out of your unit
- Take shovels, snow blowers, and any other supplies to your residence before the storm starts. You will want to have them with you before the snow accumulates.
Line the floor of the unit
- Place a dust cover or tarp on the floor of your unit before putting items into your unit. This protects them from any incidental damage and creates a barrier between the concrete floor and your items.
Being prepared minimizes the possible damage that can occur. If you need more tips or information for how to store in your unit, please stop by the office or see our other blogs.